Previous Up Next

Diary, April 2005

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
                      1   2
  3   4   5   6   7   8   9
 10  11  12  13  14  15  16
 17  18  19  20  21  22  23
 24  25  26  27  28  29  30

Friday, April 1, 2005

New scanner

This afternoon, I bought a Canon CanoScan 4200 F. Most of the evening, I spend trying it out and scanning some negatives of the first pictures we took of Andy.

Sunday, April 3, 2005


Today the Magnolia in the back of our garden started to bloom again. Not very strange, because it has been quite warm the last days. This afternoon it was even warmer outside in the garden than inside.


Monday, April 4, 2005


My old bike was falling apart, literally. I already "repaired" it with iron wires to keep all the parts together. Last Saturday I bought a new bike. This afternoon, I went to get it from the shop and to pay for it. I am now the proud owner of a black Kronan Klassik. It is a very simple bike, and that is what I like about it. The only problem is that the lock is to small for the extra wide tires, and thus is slightly touching and making a chirping noise. All Kronan bikes have a license plate. Mine has the number plate KD802.


Thursday, April 7, 2005

Hail in sun light

When I biked home, it started to hail while the sun was still shining. The hail quickly changed into rain. I did not immediately see a rainbow when I looked around, but after a while I did see a rather bright piece of rainbow.

Later, when Annabel and I biked to the swimmingpool, we saw a rainbow again. This one was larger and grew to almost a 60% full rainbow, but it became very faint.

Friday, April 8, 2005

Funny statements

Andy is now in the (mental) age that he often surprises us with funny statements he makes. He suddenly starts to speak in full sentences. It seems that he now also starts to pronouce the typical Dutch "g" sound (voiced velar frigative), and he even starts to make a k-sound (unvoiced velar plosive). Today, in school he kept on saying "Taadaa, ik ben hier" (I am here) everytime when he entered the classroom. This afternoon he was angry about Annabel, and he said "Ik bel de politie op" (I will ring the police).

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Mysterious email

Today, I the following mysterious email, which virtual no content, except that it does contain four different names, which I have made bold.
From - Sun Apr 10 08:15:05 2005
Return-path: <>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:48:02 +0000
From: Carie Bresee <>
Subject: Aili Barnhart
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
Content-Length: 20

Daphine Algood

Although the spam filter did not stop this message, it looks like spam, but with kind of purpose. Is it somekind of activation code for a piece of mallware? It probably is, because I cannot see another purpose for it.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

15 rounds

Andy's school had organized a charity walk to raise some money for the improvement of their playground. Annabel had gone round the street and raised some considerable amouth of money. She her self also donated something, and we then doubled the amouth. Tonight was the actual charity walk. It was more of a "run" than a "walk". For ten minutes Andy had to run round in a sport hall. The track was about 60 meters. He finished 15 rounds. We were really surprised and did not know he could run so well without falling a single time.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Emergency Response Team Basic course

Today, I went to a "Emergency Response Team Basic" course because I have become member of the emergency response team of our office building for my company. The course was held at a local fire department training facility. In the morning we were taught by a fireman, about what to do when a fire starts, and we got some practical training on how to exstinguish small fires with different types of fire exstinguishers. They also gave us a demonstration of what happens when you add half a cup of water to a pan with burning oil.

After the lunch, we received "first aid" traning by a ambulance worker. He gave us a lot of practical information and told many first-hand stories of things that can happen. We also did the "breathing" part of the reanimation sequence on a dummy. We also received a course manual by NIBHV (Dutch). Next Wednesday the second part of the course will happen, including a written test on the contents of the manual.

Losing with two points

Tonight, Annabel and I went to the Go club to play Go. She played two games against Marcel. She also brought a science book with her, which we have started reading together. She was just paging through it. I played against Ton, who had not played for three weeks. We started with seven handicap stones for him. But then after about ten moves into the game, I felt that his position was very weak, and Annabel removed the center handicap stone (which, as it appeared later, he did not see at all). When we finished the end game, he wanted to start an invasion in one of my corners, and I said that I would resign, because I was not in the mood of having to kill an attempt of him to create a small living group. Rudi, who was sitting besides us, said that it would be useless. Then Ton agreed that we would count. In turned out that he had won with two points. I could have won with more, had I realized that one of his groups in the corner was dead and I had killed it off. But then I did get some help from Rudi, who at a critical moment, started to make the sound of a chain saw, which he often does when he sees a nice invasion. I was indeed able to make a deep cut in the territorium of Ton.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Super glue

This evening, we needed to glue something, and it was clear that the normal glue was not going to do the job. We got the super glue that we bought some weeks ago and used it for the first time. I decided to use a needle to stick a small hole in the top. Now before I knew it, I had the glue on my fingers. Luckily, I did not squize my fingers together, but I had the stuff on my thumb and index finger of my right hand. I should have put some hand cream on my hands before handling the super glue, but I though I was only going to make a hole in the top, and not expecting any glue to come out of the bottle. We did use the glue for the things we wanted to use it for. Afterwards, I spend more than half an hour trying to remove the glue from my fingers. It finally did when I used some nail polish remover. But I guess I also removed the top part of the skin of my fingers in the process.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Revenge of the Sith

Today, Li-Xia and I went into the city. When we were at the Alhambra Theater, I went inside to ask if they still had tickets for the May 18, 20:00 showing of Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith. The first showing in the area with a digital projector. And they did. Because the ticket was only € 7.50, I decided (after consulting Li-Xia) to buy a ticket. My seat is C-7.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Star Wars: Revelations

Today, I downloaded Star Wars: Revelations (using BitTorrent), and watched it together with Annabel. My PC seems a little too slow for this movie, because it was not shown flawlessly. I have to admit that I did not follow the story because I missed some of the dialogue due to the gaps in the sound. Quite amazing that people with such a small budget can create such a good movie. All the little details are great. It truely follows the atmosphere of the original movies quite well.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Biking to the Go club

This evening, I biked to the meeting of the Go club at the university. It was still light around half past seven in the evening, the weather was nice, and I did not bike much because I went to the second and final day of the Emergency Response Team Basic course. This afternoon, I also went to the bike shop to get another lock for my bike. I got an Axa "SP 150". It came with a lock holder, which you can attach to the frame, but I have discovered it is just as easy to hang it around the steering wheel.

I played one game against Ton, which did not go very nice. I resigned after about an hour into the game, when Ton managed to kill a group of mine. Then I watched Ton playing against Taco. Sometimes it is even more addicting to follow a game, than to play one. I stayed about another hour.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Exact Cover algorithm

Today, I implemented the exact cover algorithm that I wanted to implement since March 8. I have only tested it on a trivial example. I am planing to write a program that transforms a Latin Square into a Exact Covering. Next, I will probably write a Discrete Piece Fitting to Exact Covering program.

(See below for the details)

Monday, April 25, 2005

Exact Cover algorithm solves Latin Square

This evening, I had time to check the Exact Cover algorithm (in C++) that I implemented yesterday. As a test case, I decided to try it on the Latin Square that was solved by the other program. So I wrote a Latin Square to Exact Cover program for transforming the Latin Square that I used earlier into a 525 vectors with 216 positions Exact Cover problem. The program produced a solution within a second, which translates to the following Latin Square:

8 4 2 9 5 7 3 6 1
6 7 3 5 9 8 1 2 4
3 5 1 2 4 6 7 9 8
7 9 6 8 3 1 2 4 5
4 2 8 1 7 3 9 5 6
9 6 5 3 1 2 4 8 7
2 1 7 4 8 5 6 3 9
5 3 4 7 6 9 8 1 2
1 8 9 6 2 4 5 7 3

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Lost with 83 point

Today, Annabel and I went to the Go club. I played against Rudi and lost with 83 points. Although he is a 5th Dan player, it is still a big loss, much worse than the last time. Afterwards we did some analyses. But I fear, I have forgotten most of it. Annabel played a game against Ton.

Home | March 2005 | May 2005