This evening, I attended the last Bring Your Own Beamer event at Tetem art space. The event was similar to last
years. I occupied the same spot with an updated
version of the project based on Street
Tiling Patterns and a projection of a negative of an old picture of
Li-Xia by the parts of the beamer that I put
together last Tuesday and finished Wednesday
evening. A picture of this is shown on the top right. For the Street Tiling
Patterns project, I increased the speed of the animation and I removed a bug
in the algorithm to find a matching pattern. There were some people from last
year. One of them was Willemijn Calis. I also met Tessa Langeveld, who was showing
moving forms in still spaces. A lot of people from TkkrLab came to visit and two of them had brought their own projects.
Before the visitors came at eight, I started working on the idea to pick the
colours for the Street Tiling Patterns project from a limited palette as
inspired by the colour
palettes by Peter Struycken. At home, I
continued working on this, resulting in the following palette:
For some week, there has been some water flowing across the bicycle path
along the road called Hendrik Ter Kuilestraat at a location that I talked
This morning, I noticed that the water was coming from one spot and I stopped
to take the picture shown on the right. You can just see the water flowing.
A little further on the road, there are also some wet spots, which have turned
into ice due to the low temperatures of the past days.
At the end of the afternoon, I visited bookshop
Broekhuis, which was established exactly 150 years ago. Five years ago, I bought a book when they celebrated their 145 years
existence. The bookshop is still at the same location and has undergo some
improvements in the past five years. I did not buy anything.
Yesterday, I read about Jigsaw Puzzles and The MacMahon Squares on I Programmer, and decided to give it a try. My first idea was to convert
the problem to an Exact Cover problem. However,
it did not find any solutions. This made me think about a program that could
find the best almost solution. When I finished the program, it found 46
solutions. After some debugging, I found a bug in the algorithm to generate an
Exact Cover and my Exact Cover solver found the 46 solutions with a second. I
combined both algorithm is one program.
The 46 solutions are given below:
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2005: Marnix de Nijs,
witten in Dutch, published on November 10, 2005,
About the price awarded to Marnix de Nijs.
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2006: John Körmeling,
witten in Dutch, published on November 16, 2006,
About the price awarded to John Körmeling.
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2007: Gerrit van Bakel,
witten in Dutch, published on November 15, 2007,
About the price awarded to Gerrit van Bakel.
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2008: Lawrence Malstaf,
witten in Dutch, published on November 13, 2008,
About the price awarded to Lawrence Malstaf.
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2009: Edwin van der Heide,
witten in Dutch, published on November 12, 2009,
About the price awarded to Edwin van der Heide.
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2012: Angelo Vermeulen,
written in Dutch and English, published on November 8, 2012,
About the price awarded to Angelo Vermeulen.
Witteveen+Bos-prijs voor Kunst+Techniek 2013: Driessens &
Verstappen, written in Dutch and English,
published on November 7, 2013,
About the price awarded to Driessens & Verstappen.
This afternoon, when I wanted to take a picture with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8, I got a message that the SD card was locked.
When I took it out, I discovered that lock mechanism was broken. I tried to
fix it with some scotch tape, but it did not work and the SD card got stuck in
the camera. I was slightly annoyed by this. This evening, I decided to open
up the camera. I followed some instruction videos on YouTube and managed to
open it up to the SD card reader (after I had removed the SD card with force).
I also opened up the SD module itself, because I wanted to see if I could
disable the mechanism that detects whether the card is locked or not. (I think
it is really silly that there is a switch, because I want to use the SD card
to take pictures, and not use to small screen of the camera to watch pictures
on some SD card that is locked.) At some point, some part of the eject
mechanism jump out of place and the string attached to it disappeared.
The picture on the top right shows the camera in its
disassembled state. The front and back pannels are outside of the picture. I
spend almost an hour looking for it, but wonder, o wonder, I found it on the
floor when I had already given up. (Actually, I already had seen it, but not
concluded that it could not be it.) The spring is only about 1 cm long. I spend
another hour trying to put everything together including a tiny piece of wood
from a tooth picker to push down the lock detecting switch. After I had put
everything together, I managed with some fiddling to get the camera working
with the broken SD card. I only had one little screw left. I have some idea
where it should have gone, but I decided not to bother taking the camera apart
In the evening, I attended the opening of the exhibitionFocus on colour organized by FOTON. On a long wall there were many small pictures with dominant colours
going from purple to blue to green to yellow to orange to red. And in the small
room there were large black/white pictures. I found two them rather
interesting. One of a thunderstorm and one of crossed legs, but taken in such
a way that you do not immediately recognize which is which. Someone mentioned
Edward Weston in
This months interesting links